Tuesday, April 16, 2013

In Memory of Boston

Today I received a message on Facebook from a friend who asked if I had been at the race in Boston. The answer, of course, was no, I wasn't there.  It has been several years since I have run marathons, but I still call myself a runner. My husband and I still travel to Atlanta every year for the annual Peachtree 10k Road Race on July 4th. Due to being a runner and experiencing the thrill of finishing a long race, I have a real connection with those who were finishing that race yesterday.

Start of Peachtree Race 2012
 
One of the things I notice in every race I have run, is the way the runners support each other. It is not a competition for those who run toward the middle and back of the pack. It is a family of runners. Those who are along the side are not just there yelling for their own family members or friends, they are there supporting ALL runners.

We are already planning our trip to Atlanta for this year's race. We have our hotel room. We have our race registration. We will be running those 6.2 miles. Running on the birthday of our nation has been a special experience for us. I am sure this year will be even more special.


After last year's race.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost loved ones, those who are in pain from injuries both physical and mental, and all who were there and experienced this horrible affair. In closing, I'd like to share a quote from Bob Russell's tweet: "The evil one seeks to kill, steal and destroy. Don't cower in fear. Let's run to the only safe haven--the will of God. He will overcome!"


No comments:

Post a Comment