Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Slice of Life Day Five: Learning from Children


Today was my day to visit a fourth grade in my hometown. I visit them once a week and get to conference with the writers. Today they were learning to use the ellipsis to help their writing be more interesting. They all did a Quick Write during the mini lesson to try it out.

Then they went back to their writing spots and worked on their pieces. What I love in this class is how the students are all on different genres.  Today I had the chance to talk to five students. Maddy had decided to try a graphic novel since she had never done that before. She was working on her characters by sketching them in her notebook. Braedon was writing an acrostic poem about his new twin sisters. He just became a brother for the first time last night. Gabe was working with a partner on a How-to book about a game. He was focusing on the art work today. Kaydence had typed a poem, but when I read it out loud to her she was not happy with it. We worked on making it clearer and even adding a repeated line.
I am so fortunate to have a classroom where I can keep in touch with children and continue to learn from them.

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to enjoy retirement while staying connected to kids. (BTW: What a special time to be there for Braedon. A new big brother x2!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ellipsis...I also like how all students are following a choice in writing. We have units of study that are good but I want to build in time to do this choice work. Thanks for sharing your hometown's fourth graders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that you can and wish to go back to a classroom even after you retired. Lucky kids to have you supporting their growth as writers.

    ReplyDelete