Sunday, March 23, 2014

Slice of Life Day Twenty-Three: Let's Hear it For Storytellers


 Years ago when I was teaching second graders, I had a neighbor across the hall. She was always doing something "out of the box". She encouraged me to do things differently. She shared her knowledge of the world through her travels as a storyteller. She would gather my students into her small room and with a fake campfire we would huddle around it and she would tell us tales of "She-Who-Tells-Stories". My students were spellbound as they sat there dressed in Native American garb. Thus the beginning of our friendship.
I became a writing coach and eventually left that district. That didn't stop our friendship. She would come and give special programs to a couple of the schools I then worked with as an instructional coach. Again, many students were able to gather around her and hear the wonderful stories she told.
As both of us became retired teachers, even though she still works in many areas telling stories, writing stories and even teaching at the college level, we love to stay connected. Last week, she received yet another award. I am sure this is one that will be dear to her heart because it is the 2014 Mayor's Arts and Humanities Award. What is so great about this is that she received this by doing what she loves! Congratulations, Lou Ann, you are a inspiration to so many people!


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your friend. Storytelling is so powerful. What a treat that your students get to enjoy her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story of your friendship as it has evolved and the craft of storytelling that you share. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing what you love is reward enough but getting recognition for what you love is the icing on the cake! Loved your story about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to stop by since I yearn to hone my storytelling skills. It's an art form that I want to keep alive. Love this glimpse into this lovely friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kathy,

    Thank you for the lovely tribute. Yes, we taught side by side and encouraged each other on to other endeavors. I love being able to call you when I need you. You are always, always ready to help encourage me and give me ideas. My award was wonderful, I couldn't be happier, but friendship is the real reward in this world of ours.

    Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete