Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Slice of Life Tuesday: Happy 50th Anniversary

 On Saturday, we traveled to Detroit, MI. to attend a celebration of 50 years of marriage of my cousins.  Joan and Gene were married on June 20, 1964. I remember the wedding because to me, it was like watching Cinderella marry her Prince Charming. She was my older cousin and I thought this was the most romantic thing ever!
Fifty years ago Joan met Gene at a USO dance in Detroit. She went to dance with the servicemen and help them have some fun. At one of those dances, she met the love of her life...Gene!  Now with two grown children and two grandchildren, they celebrated that life together!
I remember attending the wedding and thinking how beautiful she was and how handsome her groom was in his uniform.
This is the wedding party today at the celebration. Sheryl was one of the flower girls and her mom and aunt were bride's maids while her father was a groomsman. We kept looking at the original picture of this group (plus a few more who didn't attend) and made sure they were each in the correct spot.
Their children, Don and LeeAnn, put together a wonderful day for everyone, but especially their parents. I know Joan and Gene are very proud of them!
Being the Indiana cousins, my sister and I along with our husbands, enjoyed seeing everyone and being able to be part of this great celebration of two lives. Joan and Gene  will always be our examples of a Princess and her Prince Charming!








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful love story. You don't hear many stories like that today and I often wonder why. I hope I can be so lucky and celebrate my 50 years of love one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's an awesome celebration! Someday it will be you too. I love that they were and still are Princess and Prince Charming.

    ReplyDelete